
I saw these outside a friends house. Apparently they belong to a neighbour who painted them so they wouldn't be attacked by crows!
We continue to have many adventures such as towing Paula out of the mud (The owners of the car who may view this blog need not be worried, no damage was done). This is the road to our friends house and some helpful people put a load of dirt down just before the rains came to try and level it out... bad idea. The car slid sideways and Paula had to abandon it until I could come and pull her out...

...and it seems that she was not the only one who struggled with the mud caused by the rains. This was the bride turning up for her wedding that I was at and we ended up towing them too.
Both Paula and I have had the opportunity of attending a number of weddings recently which has been a great privilege and opportunity to understand the culture better and we have another one this weekend. We rarely know the people who are getting married, such as the son of a government minister last week, but it seems that having a white person at your wedding is a good thing.
This is Paula and her friend about to head off for a wedding.
Paulas bit:
I was invited to a wedding by one of my local friends. We arrived at the brides family's house where there were people singing and shrieking, playing drums and dancing. I dreaded the moment when I would be told to dance... white people can't really dance you know.
Anyway, it was over without to great a trauma and we watched the bride leave and then headed onto the next venue. All the women were ushered into a house where we sat on the floor and were served with big plates of pilau to share. I asked where the men were and was told that they had already eaten. (Everything is done separately here. The bride and groom don't even see each other until after the wedding!)
We headed to the next house (with about 12 people in the car) where a group of guys did all sorts of frightening acrobatic things, made all the more frightening by the simple fact that this is Africa.
After the performance we headed home without seeing either bride or groom again.
We have had three lads staying with us for the past week or so who are taking time out travelling on their way to South Africa so we put them to work to earn their keep at the site which continues to progress well.
This is one of the guys learning the new skill of welding 6m up.
The guys also helped out with the brick laying with the localsThe roof is a little bit tricky without a cherry picker or scaffold towers. They do have a system which they use for scaffolding but I'm not sure it would pass health and safety standards in the UK. This is a video of us putting up the roof with me welding bolts in position whilst lying on top of a ladder and Jason using the local 'scaffold' as his means of support.



OK, Han's narration of the video is hilarious!! A really cool friend must have given you that sweet pics of teh purple chicks!!
ReplyDelete