The general rule whilst driving here seems to be, every driver for themselves. This is particularly the case by the market in town where the daytime traffic and driving is unbelievable. Any side of the road will do as long as there is space, there are about a million bicycles, piki piki (scooters) and pedestrians at any one time and there's none of the politeness (ahem....) that we are used to on the roads back home.
I made this point to Rich this morning on our way down into town. I particularly emphasized the 'no give way' rule that seems to operate here. You just don't do it. If you want a chance to join the flow of traffic and get where you are going, you just don't give way because no one will give way to you (plus the fact that the traffic behind you will just go around you anyway so there's normally not much point in the exercise!).... or so I thought. Not half an hour after I had expressed this opinion I was forced to eat my words as a man very kindly let us out of a junction right in the middle of the chaos of traffic next to the market. I doubt it will change our 'every driver for themselves' attitude, but we were grateful to be let out!
(By the way, I told you it wouldn't take long for me to take over the blog...)
I like your writing - excited to read soon more about your live here.
ReplyDeleteDoro