For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. (Phil 1 v 21)

Monday, December 21, 2009

Shopping!

These pictures are taken from a recent shopping expedition. The girls and I were looking to buy a 'buibui' the long black over dress thing that women wear here. Normally, just looking at the women wearing them is enough to cause us to break out in a sweat, but we thought that it would be a good idea to at least try one on and see how it felt to wear it. Plus, we thought it would be a good idea to have one to take home to show all you guys what the local trends are!


Julie was the first to try and she actually did buy this outfit. The women here really love the 'bling' and you can see around the cuffs all the beading and sparkly bits. This is a VERY toned down buibui. They also come with matching headscarfs.

We also tried on a 'ninja' as modelled here by Julie (any captions welcome! Just put them in the comments section. Will publish the best!) These are unbearable to wear in the heat and humidity here. Just 30 seconds is pure torture.

Although I tried this one on, I didn't buy one in the end. Apparently I am too 'bonge' (pronounced bon-gay) which as far as I can work out, translates as chubby - charming! Whatever, one thing I have concluded is that while the local women look stunning most of the time in this gear, the head covering generally just do not flatter white women!

2 comments:

  1. i have never heard that bongay term...weird! and I think you look fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paula I can't believen you posted these! I will have to dig up some relics and return the favour!

    I think a good caption should be - 'an alternative to using face wash.' or 'a fashion I am determined to bring back to the UK.' Miss you
    Julie xxxx

    ReplyDelete

If you feel that you have something positive to share or you are overwhelmed by the sheer beauty of this blog you are welcome to add your comments below.