For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. (Phil 1 v 21)

Friday, May 21, 2010

Adventures North of the Equator

We recently took a much needed break and escaped from our little Island for 8 days to Uganda. We know several people there and invited ourselves to stay with a friend who lives in Kampala. We had a really wonderful time although within 10 minutes of leaving the airport our friend was being hassled by the police, then we discovered that our camera was stolen at Dar airport.... As Leo says in 'Blood Diamond' "This is Africa!"
We eventually made it from the airport in Entebbe to the capital city of Kampala where we enjoyed many days of reading, relaxing and good food. We even made it to the cinema a couple of times (Shutter Island and Robin Hood) and Rich got to go White Water Rafting at a place called Jinja, a source of the Nile. Here are some of the pictures from Rich's rafting; as I was obviously unable to participate he made me official photographer for the day :)

I spent the best part of the day on a platform overlooking the river. Not a bad view really!

Rich and our host Andy. They let me take this photo thinking that no one would actually see them looking like this. Pole!

On the bus and ready to go. I had to go in a separate taxi to make sure I was in place for the following photo's.

Rich and Andy are the two in blue helmets (chosen specifically so I could spot them) at the front of the boat.
Having survived the first of the rapids, they get ready to head on to the next lot. Apparently they got bigger and better as they went. One they even had to get out and walk around.



1 comment:

  1. I flown over Jinja! It's a nice place. Did you enjoy the Kampala traffic? Makes France look sane!

    ReplyDelete

If you feel that you have something positive to share or you are overwhelmed by the sheer beauty of this blog you are welcome to add your comments below.