For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. (Phil 1 v 21)

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Anna and...

One thing about living here that you would definitely not find back home, is that it is OK and even normal for strangers to greet you and take your child off you. What's more is that the stranger may begin to walk away with your child in order to show them to a friend/neighbour/relative. Alarm bells would certainly be ringing by this point. To be fair, there aren't that many mzungu babies as young as Anna on the island, and everyone knows who she is and therefore who I am ('Mama Anna!') so I'm not overly concerned about a lady in a buibui doing a runner with her.
It makes me laugh though when all of Anna's new found friends want a photograph with her. I am the one who takes the photo's on my camera and quite why they think I want a picture of Anna with every single person we meet, I am not certain. There have even been times when people have come up with their own camera and asked if they could have a photo with Anna...
Coming from a country where using a camera within sight of children, who just might possibly find their way into your picture can cause the odd problem, this is sometimes a little disconcerting!!
Here are some photo's from a party we were at recently of Anna and some new found friends.

Anna and Mariam, our house help.




Through it all, Anna is generally pretty patient and willing to bestow the odd smile :)

1 comment:

  1. Happy New Year Lovely people! And congratulations on your little one. Anna is absolutley gorgeous. I have loved the video clips of her and RIch. Looks like you managed to have an amazing Chistmas as well. You are in my prayers so often. I find it amazing where we all end up when serving.
    Hope you guys are really well today. I have an amusing incident with a dead dog which I'll email you shortly.
    Much love.
    JG-T

    ReplyDelete

If you feel that you have something positive to share or you are overwhelmed by the sheer beauty of this blog you are welcome to add your comments below.