Last week I was invited to a party. Until I arrived, I was unsure what exactly the party was for, even though we had an invitation and had asked all of our friends. All we knew was that there would prayers recited, we should cover our heads and we needed to take a gift of some sort.
So we headed off at the time specified on the invitation... we should have known better really. Sometimes we forget that 'this is Africa!' After about an hour and a half the rest of the guests started arriving and sitting down on the floor around us.
There was also a group of girls who turned up and started chanting at the front of the room. They carried on for about an hour and a half with the rest of the guests joining in on occasion. We were asked why we didn't join in. Well for one thing the whole thing was done in Kiarabu (Arabic) so we didn't have the foggiest what was going on!
I have to say I felt a little bit sorry for the 'Bibi harusi' or hen who sat on a stage by herself the entire time looking miserable (that is what they do here. They will not smile for photographs but go for the pouting, I am miserable look) while we sat around and chatted with the women next to us.
After the chanting had finished, it was photograph and giving of gifts time, all of which was filmed by a man with a huge fluorescent light and old school video camera. So up we went to give our gifts and have the obligatory photo's taken before collecting our own gift (the food parcel that signals the end of any party here) and heading home.
I have to say that I'm rather glad my hen party wasn't like this, it wasn't exactly exciting and I much prefer having a picnic and cream tea by the river!
.jpg)
Bibi harusi sitting by herself :(
.jpg)
The girls who chanted their way through the evening.
.jpg)
Giving the gifts to the bibi harusi at the end. Anything for the house including a washing up bowl - it's all useful! (Plus there's no Denby here!)

Having photo's taken at the end although I had never met either of the women in the middle of the picture before this picture was taken! Hence my look of mild discomfort!
No comments:
Post a Comment
If you feel that you have something positive to share or you are overwhelmed by the sheer beauty of this blog you are welcome to add your comments below.